Thursday, January 4, 2018

Dear Ezra

Dear Ezra,

I wish you could understand how much you help me every single day.  I wish you could hear my words when I say, “I love you.”  I wish you could know how much you saved me. 


When he came after us I was scared.  I didn’t know what to do and felt frozen for a minute.  I think you did too.  Then you turned, you became brave.  Your voice broke the words that he said.  When I heard you I heard my heart, I heard my strength return to me.  I felt my muscles engage.  My legs started to swing, my hands went to any place I could feel.  I smacked. I punched. I joined in with you and screamed.  We hurt him, I heard him grunt, I felt his grasp tighten because he knew we were strong. He didn’t move. We didn’t let him move.  We went in on it together.  Both small, both scared.  We saw the others approach I saw your tail wag.  You knew help was here even though you were still going.  Then the world stopped I had you in my hands.  Your guard still up, your fur still unable to relax, my hair was standing up too.  I could feel every part of myself, could you feel your legs? I could feel the muscles pulsing ready to keep struggling.  The walk back to our home you never left my side. I don’t think I even put the leash back on you.  You walked beside me tall I felt your nose on my ankles.  I knew you were right there. You never let me forget.


That night I had nightmares.  So, did you.  When we put you in the crate you would not let us be apart.  You scratched you whined louder than we have ever heard.  You ran out of dad’s arms’ to be in mine.  That night I felt you.  I don’t think you knew but I felt you check on me.  Maybe you had a dream I wasn’t breathing so you had to make sure reality was still true.  Reality was true.  We are okay.  Because of you we are okay. 


Sincerely,

Your mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment