Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The question runs deep and echos throughout my bones: Why college? I never wanted to go to college, my dream was to get married at 18 and never step foot inside a university. But in High School being a Hoomeschooler I had to go to community college for my language. I never knew I would fall in love with ASL or the Deaf community. When I graduated in 2012 I found out that ASL interpreters were now required to have a BA before taking the national certification. In 2011 I was excited to be able to get a degree for only 2 years and then work for the rest of my life. So I embraced it I found a school I liked, CSUN. It became my vision to go to a University. Still to this day I weigh the costs of my decision.

I could have stayed in San Diego and tested for my EIPA certification and worked in schools, being limited to only schools, no community interpreting. But I couldn't see myself working in a school the rest of my life when all I ever do is try to get out of schools. So I found a passion for legal interpreting and Deaf Blind interpreting. Both require me to have a BA. Not only do I have to achieve my BA but I also have to take certification tests after I graduate. Boy oh boy. That was not my dream.

Then, I met a classmate who wanted to go to CSUN also. She encouraged and pushed me to achieve all that we could. If it wasn't for her I probably wouldn't be here today. Sometimes I think about my dream of not wanting to go to school. But then I think about it, I'm going to be graduating college with only 4 "official" years under my belt and I'll be 21.

I wanted to achieve something when I went to college. I didn't just want to be another student. I have made a reputation as a student, I won't just listen but i'll question. I'll be silly, but i'll also be serious. I'll do anything to make class fun.

So maybe I didn't achieve my goal of being successful without colleges/universities. But I'm proud of myself for sticking through something I never wanted to do. With a supportive family, boyfriend and friends I know I'll push through, and if there are bumps in the road, I know I'll push through.

Why college? Because, Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment